Monday, October 31, 2011

A Reflection of Change Class

Learning Reflection
What an interesting course! There are several topics that I have addressed and learned important information about, namely the Salem City demographics information assignment, the Case Study group project, involving City Middle School, and the Authentic Change group project, with which we chose to examine Walkthrough procedures as our topic. I particularly enjoy working with my cohort in group and collaborative situations, so we can share our thoughts and ideas. One can never have too many ideas!
Applying both the ELCC, as well as the ISLLC Standards to our assignments, gives me a better vision as to what they truly mean. I can see how the different standards apply to what we are learning, from Standard 1, Vision of Learning, as every school has one; Standard 2, Culture of Teaching and Learning (yes, the T & L!); Standard 3, Management of Learning, the formal observations and walk-throughs; Standard 4, Relationships with the Community, incorporating the community in teaching and diversity; Standard 5, Integrity & Ethics, why we model the correct way to think and act for the students and staff; to Standard 6, Political, Social, Economic, & Legal Context of Learning, operation, communication, working with policies and laws, as well as working with outside people in the smooth performance of the school.
In applying the ELCC standards, all coincide with the ISLLC standards except for Standard 7, which relates to our internship. I am anxiously looking forward to working with Dr. Dunham and the rest of the administrative staff, in finishing the final leg of my principal certification. Hopefully, we will be able to work closely so I can grow in confidence and knowledge under his sage tutelage. When I had asked him to be my mentor, I explained that he would be influential in shaping my career full circle, as he had hired me six short years ago as an instructional aide, and now I am finishing my administrative certification. He agreed with a smile, and has actively encouraged me to attend a couple functions in the last couple weeks, which included the International Baccalaureate reception with some school board members, students, parents, and the current Superintendent, Dr. Patrick Michel.
I am looking forward to working with you as my cohort mentor during my internship in January 2012. I feel you still have much to share with us, and wish that the class could continue for a couple more weeks. I am also thrilled that you and Dr. Dunham have a friendly rapport, so if there are any questions or concerns from anyone, there will be educated answers for me.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment